Here is my process (just FYI for you and a reference for me for next year!)
1. I ran a report for kids with a Date Entered 9th grade of 08/16/2013 to get a preliminary cohort number. (Ad Hoc titled Date Entered 9th GRAD RATE PREDICTOR)
2. I filtered on the list for withdrawal codes and totaled those per code.
3. Change to the next year in IC and run the same report.
4. Filter entry codes (other than C: Continuing in Same School) to get the number of students who transferred in that year.
5. I filtered on the list for withdrawal codes and totaled those per code.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for junior and senior years.
7. Search GUIDE for claims for any kids listed as Dropouts and have Annette check folders for records requests. Remove any found from the denominator (or add a transfer code to the totals for the Excel calculation sheet).
8. Use those totals to fill in the DOE calculation sheet. (I also figured this by hand at a separate time and got the same number).
9. Check for No Shows in each year remembering that some kids are retained (so you can't just use cohort years).
**ALSO- I also used a Duplicate Enrollment GRAD RATE to get a list of kids who had multiple enrollments in a year (including no shows). I ran it for each year keeping a list of names with duplicates. I then used the ad hocs listed above to add and remove enrollments to make a master list. Make sure to cross-reference with the duplicate names list.
Finally, I took this list and went kid by kid to determine end status.